Kay Unsicker, Counselor
Welcome to the Kelley Counselor page. My name is Mrs. Kay Unsicker and I will be fulfilling the role of Counselor this year at Kelley. This is my 22nd year in education. During this time, I have taught 4th and 5th grade in the Moore District. I am so excited to have the opportunity to work at Kelley Elementary as the Counselor. Please feel free to stop by and introduce yourself, as I look forward to meeting all of the wonderful “Kelley Comets”.
My goal for the upcoming year is to enhance the lives of the students at Kelley Elementary. To help meet that goal, the following counseling services are available:
- Classroom Guidance Lessons.
- Assistance in Crisis Situations.
- Work In Partnership With Other School Professionals to Help Students Succeed.
- Act as a Consultant and Referral Source Between School, Parents, and Community.
- Help In Orientating New Students and Families to Kelley.
- Testing Information/Interpretation and State Testing Coordinator.
- Small Group and Individual Guidance.
- Red Ribbon Week Lessons and Activities
- Comets With Character Awards
- Student Council
There are many reasons for children to seek out their school counselor. Student may experience times or situations that are stressful or difficult for them. Many personal and school related problems can have a direct impact on a child’s ability to learn. School counselors, like myself, provide a safe and confidential environment for all students to help facilitate their academic and social success. In certain circumstances, I will be required to break confidentiality. Those circumstances may include the following situation(s):
Seven Habits of Highly Responsible Students
- Potential harm to the student by himself (i.e. threats of suicide, or self-harm)
- Threatened harm to someone else by the student
- Suspected child abuse or neglect
Responsible students do not have any one secret to their success but they do practice some habits that help them. Here are seven habits that can make any child a highly responsible student. Even yours!!
1. They set goals.
2. They plan their time.
3. They study every day.
4. They take notes in class.
5. They have the tools they need.
6. They keep their commitments.
7. They get ready ahead of time.