Attendance PolicyMoore Public Schools
Students must be IN the classroom when the tardy bell has stopped ringing or he/she will be counted tardy. All tardies are counted unless the student has a pass from a staff member. Records of tardies will be kept by each teacher. Two (2) tardies constitute an absence and will be counted as such in conjunction with the attendance policy.
If a student misses more than 5 minutes of a class, he/she will be marked in the grade book as absent from the class, and it will count toward the ten (10) days allowed per semester. Upon checking in, if a student is late to class more than 5 minutes, the student is still required to report to their class. The principal, counselor, or teacher must issue a statement of explanation in order for the tardy to be excused. Two early releases will be treated as an absence.
Absences must be confirmed by a parent contacting the appropriate attendance office on the day of the absence. Notes will not be accepted. Unconfirmed absences will be considered a truancy and will be handled with discipline by the grade principal.
The following exceptions will not count against the student with respect to the attendance policy.
Exempt Absences Include:
1. Any event that is approved as a school activity
2. Any medical treatment that is substantiated by a physician’s written statement. THE PHYSICIAN’S STATEMENT MUST BE SUBMITTED TO THE SCHOOL WITHIN FIVE (5) DAYS OF THE STUDENT’S RETURN AND IS SUBJECT TO VERIFICATION BY A SCHOOL OFFICIAL
3. Any day a student serves as a page for the State or National Legislature (not to exceed five days)
4. A court subpoena
5. Religious holidays or activities
7. Forty-eight (48) hours to treat and clear head lice with appropriate medical documentation upon return to school
Family vacations are not exempted and such absences will count toward the maximum absences allowed per semester.
THE PRINCIPAL WILL MAKE THE FINAL DECISION CONCERNING UNUSUAL CIRCUMSTANCES.