7th and 8th Grade ScienceMr. Bryan Thomas
Welcome to science at Moore West Junior High. I know this will be a fun, exciting, and challenging year for all of us. If you have any questions, problems, concerns, or need additional help on assignments, come and talk to me. Science this year will cover a variety of topics from all areas of science including: earth science, physical science, space/planets and life science.Supplies:
When working on an assignment, please keep the following things in mind:
- Spiral Notebook
- A 3-Pack of Glue Sticks
1. All work is done in pencil, NO PEN!!
2. All questions are answered in complete sentences unless otherwise instructed.
3. A sentence will not begin with "It", "They", or "Because".
4. Each student completes his or her own assignments.5. Thought and effort should always be included...and will be rewarded.
Class Expectations and Procedures
1. Students are expected to come to class prepared with all of their necessary supplies.
2. Students are to be in their assigned seats and ready to begin starter work when the bell rings.
3. Students are expected to participate in all in class activities and assignments.
4. Students are expected to follow the directions the first time they are given.
5. Students are to remain in their seats and quiet unless you have permission to do otherwise.
6. Students are to respect their classmates and their classroom environment.7. No gum, food, drink, or candy is permitted in the classroom without permission8. Bullying...in any form...will NOT be tolerated and will be dealt with immediately and may result in further consequencesCell Phone PolicyCell phones are NOT allowed...unless I give permission. Cell phones are a privilege and a student is NOT entitledto use their phone in my classroom.*If a student has completed their work and have no other assignments to catch up on...they may raise their hand and ask permission to get on their phones.*IF permission is granted, students may ONLY listen to music along with ear buds or play games...NOTHING ELSE.*If a student does not ask permission or comes into the classroom with their cell phones out or is getting other students involved with their phone...the cell phone will be placed on the teachers desk and given back at the end of the class period.*If the student continues to make mistakes regarding cell phone use, the cell phone will be turned in to the office and student will need to make arrangements to get the phone back with the office.Grading procedure:In science, your grade is based on total points that are posted to a weighted system (60% Daily Work, and 30% Tests/Quizzes, and 10% semester test).Grading Policy:A= 90-100B= 89-80C= 79-70D= 69-60F= 59-0The semester grade is based on the points earned during the semester as well as a cumulative semester examination that will be worth 10% of the grade.Some unit tests/quizzes can be reworked by students for half-credit per item at teachers discretion.
Absent Work:If you are absent for any reason, you are expected to take responsibility for finding out what you missed and how to make it up. Check the missing work bin in the classroom or assignment calendar online. It is your responsibility to arrange a time to make up the work. I will be available almost every day before school. Absent work that is not made up will be counted as a zero.