Fun Ways to Practice Spelling
1. ABC Order Write words in alphabetical order apple, bear, cat,…, yak, zoo
2. Reverse ABC Order Write words in ABC order backwards! zebra, yak,…, cat, bear, ape
3. Sailboat Spelling Write your words one letter at a time. The letters will form a triangle like the sail of a sailboat. s st sta star
4. Disappearing Words Write each word, then write it again but leave one letter out… then write it again and leave two letters out… then three… until your word has disappeared! star, -tar, --ar, ---r
5. Cross Words Write two words that share a letter so they are touching! (Advanced: Use three words.) m c a t n
6. Rainbow Words Write words 3 times each using a color pattern like red, green, blue. Continue the pattern for each word.
7. Five Times Each Write each of your spelling words five times.
8. Other Handed If you are right handed, write your words with your left hand! If you are left handed, write your words with your right hand!
9. Backwards words Write your words forwards and backwards!
10. Silly Sentences Use all of your words in 5-10 silly sentences
11. Spelling City Go to the website http://www.spellingcity.com and select “Find a List”. Type in your teacher’s last name. Then, select the unit and week that we are working on. Write this in your Spelling/Reading notebook as your choice and have someone sign it to say you did your words on Spelling City!
12. Funny Fonts Use your computer to type your words. Use different fonts and make it look really fun! Be sure you print it out and bring it in your folder or tape it in your notebook!
13 Cheer your words Pretend you are a cheerleader and cheer out your words to an adult one letter at a time. Write this in your Spelling/Reading notebook as your choice and have someone sign their name to say they listened to you cheer your words!