Kay Unsicker, Counselor
Welcome to the Kelley Counselor page. My name is Mrs. Kay Unsicker and I will be fulfilling the role of Counselor this year at Kelley. This is my 23rd year in education. I am so excited to have the opportunity to work at Kelley Elementary as the Counselor. Please feel free to stop by and introduce yourself, as I look forward to meeting all of the wonderful “Kelley Comets”.
My goal for the upcoming year is to enhance the lives of the students at Kelley Elementary. To help meet that goal, the following counseling services are available:
- Classroom Guidance Lessons.
- Assistance in Crisis Situations.
- Work In Partnership With Other School Professionals to Help Students Succeed.
- Act as a Consultant and Referral Source Between School, Parents, and Community.
- Help In Orientating New Students and Families to Kelley.
- Testing Information/Interpretation and State Testing Coordinator.
- Small Group and Individual Guidance.
- Red Ribbon Week Lessons and Activities
- Comets With Character Awards
- Student Council
There are many reasons for children to seek out their school counselor. Student may experience times or situations that are stressful or difficult for them. Many personal and school related problems can have a direct impact on a child’s ability to learn. School counselors, like myself, provide a safe and confidential environment for all students to help facilitate their academic and social success. In certain circumstances, I will be required to break confidentiality. Those circumstances may include the following situation(s):
- Potential harm to the student by himself (i.e. threats of suicide, or self-harm)
- Threatened harm to someone else by the student
- Suspected child abuse or neglect
The classroom guidance lessons are an integral part of the school's total educational program. Guidance activities are age-appropriate and conducted on a regular, planned, and systematic basis to assist all students to develop to their full potential and obtain the life skills they need to succeed. I will be visiting each classroom at least once a month for Guidance, some of the topics we will be covering are:
- Conflict Resolution
- Drug and Alcohol Prevention
- Internet Safety
- Character Development
- Study and Testing Skills
These are the most common concerns brought up by elementary students. Please feel free to contact me for any concerns you or your child may be having.
How does a student see the counselor?
- Teacher referral
- Parent referral
- Administrative referral
This year we are beginning the ‘Comets with Character’ program to recognize and reward children for demonstrating excellent character. The monthly Comet Character traits we are looking for are as follows:
- September: Reliability
- October: Responsibility
- November: Caring
- December: Cooperation
- January: Fairness
- February: Trustworthiness
- March: Respect
- April: Honesty
- May: Citizenship
Communication is important to each student's success. Please feel free to contact me.
PLEASE sign up for Parent Portal to see grades online for students in 3rd grade or higher.