What IS Choir?
Choir (Chorus) is offered as an academic class at Central Junior High, Seventh graders may enroll in 7th Grade Mixed Choir. Eighth Graders may enroll in 8th Select Choir. Both choirs have the opportunity to attend district competitions, and yearly festivals. We're ofree invited to perform for Branson On Stage Live! and hope to receive that invitation again soon.SHOW CHOIR (ENCORE!) learns pop music repertoire and choreography. They wear costumes rather than robes, and perform at each of the Chorus concerts. Encore! has the opportunity to perform at the school talent show, and to compete at a Central Oklahoma Show Choir Contest. Show Choir outfits can be costly, but fund raising opportunities will be provided. Show Choir meets Saturday mornings, and 2 mornings or afternoons per week. Show Choir is open to any Choir or Band student enrolled at CJH.
Choir classes at Central focus on singing with a well-supported and resonant tone. We are a literacy based group, and spend time daily on developing notation and theory skills. Choral ensembles are divided into vocal sections determined by the individual's vocal range. We perform music in 2, 3, 4, and sometimes 5 part harmony.
Parents, please make sure that if your child is in choir, they have black dress shoes and black slacks (men or women), or black dress shoes and black or nude hose (women). Also make sure that the $20.00 choir fee is paid by or before the Friday after Labor Day, so that they can receive the Choir-Designed T-shirt, and be able to wear a cleaned robe in our next performance.
Students, can you guess which shoes are appropriate dress for a choir concert?...
A. B. C.
D. E. F.
If you guessed B. or C., then you are correct!!!How do I make my choir Daily Points List? Follow these directions, and scroll the following image to see a demonstration.
- " Hot dog" fold your paper.
- Put your name, hour, and folder assignment on the outside fold.
- Fold again to make 4 columns in the inside.
- Label each column with one of these: NFOIM (no foreign objects in mouth); In Seat on Time; Materials Ready; Silent at Tardy Bell
- Look at the Dry Erase Board at today's agenda for the date and term or symbol of the day (always in BLUE).
- Put today's date in the far left margin
- Fill in each column with the term or symbol of the day, if you deserve that credit
- During class, under the term or symbol, list 3 things we did (highlights)
- When the alarm sounds, do the 3 closure activities, and list them on the next line.
- On the last day of the week, finish class by totaling and turning in your Points List. Each entry is worth 10 points, for 100 points possible per day.
Suggested Choir Highlights
(list 3 each day)
· List a warm-up used.
· What canon or round was in the warm-up?
· Was the warm-up song performed as a round (how many parts), or with solo?
· Tell how warm-ups help you as a singer/chorister.
· Was there a new warm-up activity? What was it?
· List a new sight reading song or concept.
· What was the sight reading key, or meter, or chord, or scale we read about?
· What’s the title of our new song?
· List one of the things we covered about the new song
o Rhythm snags
o Interval snags
o Musical Map
· List an accomplishment from our learned song, such as
o Fixed a rhythm error
o Pitch corrections
o Dynamics practiced
o Phrasing and breathing
· Were there any choir announcements?
· Did you have a personal singing or choir goal set or accomplished?
· Was there an aspect of ensemble needed or practiced?
· Do you have suggestions on current or future songs?Can't remember what that music term means?
Try the OnMusic.org online dictionary:Learn about reading music:A great resource for vocal training:http://www.vocalist.org.ukLatin Dictionary - University of Notre Dame's online Latin
translator and guide to Latin grammar. http://archives.nd.edu/latgramm.htm
Print your own staff paper.
A musician's resource guide:
Carnegie Hall Listening Adventures Animated music
Carnegie Hall ed vids
Ear training exercises on the Net.
Public domain free sheet music downloads.
Free Classical sheet music downloads.