• I'm worried about my child's speech and/or language....now what???


    Children 0 - 2.11 years old

    1. Contact your Health Department and ask about having your child evaluated. Be ready to tell them your concerns (i.e. "he's 2 1/2 and only says 5 words.")

    2. Talk with your pediatrician about this. Again, have specific areas of concern ready to tell him or her about. You may want to ask about a program called Sooner Start (Oklahoma's Early Intervention Program).


    Children 3 to 5 years (not in school yet)

    1. Call Heritage Trails Elementary (735-4520) and ask about having your child evaluated for developmental skills (tell them your main concern whether it be speech, socializing, motor abilities, cognition, adaptive behavior, etc.). All children age 3-5 (or prior to preschool/kindergarten) are the public school's responsibility as far as testing and possible eligibility for Special Education and Related Services.

    2. OR Contact the local Health Department just as #1 in the 0-2.11 age.


    Children in preschool & up

    1. Discuss your concern first with your child's teacher. Our teachers are very knowledgeable about developmental errors in speech and language and will be able to discuss with you if a referral to me, or your Speech Pathologist, is warranted. If it is indeed needed you and I will be talking soon!


    * All parents may access the American Speech and Hearing Association's website: asha.org for further information about the appropriate stages in speech and language development, as well as finding a Speech Pathologist in your community.