Chaney's Reading Syllabus
I have taught school for 23 years. I graduated from the University of Central Oklahoma in Edmond, Oklahoma with an English Degree in 1995 as well as an Education Certification Degree in 1996. I attended New York University with emphasis on Beatnik Writings and Poem Artistry. I also went through special training at Oklahoma University pertaining to English Teaching Methods focusing on Advanced Placement and did Master Work in Human Relations.
I believe in treating children with respect and dignity and expect the same in return. I have a sense of humor and enjoy class room discussions. I want everyone to have a voice in class, and I expect those voices to be kind and considerate of each other.
Mission For The Class
To raise reading levels of students to grade level or more.
To promote the love of reading and learning.
To instill pride in students for themselves and their work.
To provide a safe haven for learning.
To share my love for books, travel and learning with students.
To teach students to become life-long readers and learners.
Note that all students can re-do most assignments and assessments for full credit within the week the assignment was issued. I want all students to be able to learn from the mistakes they have made on assignments and assessments. This policy is designed for the student's grades to show what they have learned after those mistakes have been corrected.
Rules for Re-Do:
- Weds. at 7:20 a.m. and 2:20 p.m. in classroom. There is no sign-up. Just come on in to work on eligible assignments/assessments with me. Redo work is an opportunity for any needed tutoring as well as grade increasing.
- Students will come in knowing what they are going to redo. Keep graded papers, and/or check portal before coming in to redo and have a list of eligible work (work assigned within a week), (on portal I put a “redo by” date if that item is open to redo; If there is not a “redo deadline date,” It is not open for redo). .
- Extended items such as book quizzes or simple memorization items such as vocabulary quizzes etc. are not open for redo. *Always check portal for redo eligibility next to the title. If there is not a date to redo by, it is not eligible for redo.
**If you come in not knowing what you need to redo, you will not be able to stay. (This is very important. With sometimes over 30 children at a time coming in to redo, I do not have time to stop helping prepared students to figure out what 1 student might need to be redoing.)
Redo’s are only for work that was turned in by the due date...not missing, late or incomplete work.
Late Work Policy: 10 pts off per day late up to 30 pts. You have a week to turn in late work.
Grading Scale: Daily Assignments: 40%
Tests, Quizzes, Projects: 50%
Final/Semester Test: 10%
Each Monday students will write the class assignment/assessment plans into their personal agenda.
Assignment Calendar is on wall in classroom and my website by date on the digital calendar.
Discipline Expectations and Procedures
All students are expected to act respectfully toward all school personnel, visitors, and students, including themselves.
- Do Right. Follow the rules. Make good choices. Set an example for others to follow.
- Do Unto Others.... Be nice. Play fair. Show respect to everyone.
- Do your job. Try. Try again. Make yourself, your class, your teacher, and your school exceptional.
Any behavioral choices will be handled as quickly and appropriately as possible:
Cell Phone Policy: Cell phones must be off and in the cell phone caddy unless teacher directs the curriculum usage, or you may keep it your locker. J
Behavior and Cell Phone Discipline Procedures:
Informal Conference……….teacher/student discussion of the issue
Lunch Detention.. ………….10 mins. served during lunchtime; parent contact
AM/PM Detention ………….30 mins. Am/pm detention & parent contact
Referral to Principal
Formal conference with teacher/student/principal
Tardy Policy: (All tardies are counted in attendance record.)
Discipline for Tardiness:
1st: Warning, Recorded
2nd: Parent Contact, Recorded
3rd: Parent Contact and am/pm Detention; Recorded
6th +: Principal Notified; Recorded
The link to the MPS Student Handbook: http://www.mooreschools.com/page/723