What is Moore Love?
Moore Love is our district-wide, annual philanthropic project that is highlighted across all 35 school sites during February. Last year our schools and community members worked to generate $348,291.72 for Moore Love! The beneficiaries last year were: The Sharing Tree, the Oklahoma Regional Food Bank: Backpack Program, and the Moore Public Schools Foundation: Bridges Project.
Moore Love 2022-23
The Moore Love student committees at Moore, Westmoore, and Southmoore made nonprofit beneficiary selections this July. The selected nonprofits are:
- Regional Food Bank (Moore Food Resource Center): MPS has previously worked with RFBO to provide food in backpacks for approximately 700 MPS elementary students without enough food at home to sustain them over the weekend. Fortunately, our students and community have worked hard to fund the Backpack Program for the next two years. Therefore, funds will go to support the Food Resource Center in Moore.
- Bridges Moore: Bridges, Inc. is a non-profit organization that has the mission of empowering students to succeed who are in family crisis or who live alone. Staff work to remove barriers to high school graduation, including help with food, clothing, shelter, and medical needs. Bridges support students with counseling in life skills and encourage them to finish high school with the support of mentors and resources. Currently, Bridges cares for shelter-insecure MPS students at their site in Norman, but this project brings the Bridges concept to a dedicated site in Moore for MPS. Our donation will be dedicated to MPS students being served by Bridges and will also be allocated to the startup costs when the Bridges Moore site is operational.
- Mary Abbott Children’s House: Abbott House provides services to children ages 3 to 18 years old from Cleveland, McClain, and Garvin Counties regarding many types of abuse and neglect, as well as being a witness to a crime or in a drug-endangered situation. In 2021, 723 children began their healing journey through the Abbott House. MACH works closely with law enforcement, the district attorney's office, child protective services, mental health care professionals, and medical professionals to maintain a child-friendly atmosphere during investigations of abuse.
- The Sparrow Project: Based in Moore and founded by parents of MPS graduates, The Sparrow Project provides an opportunity for adults with disabilities to live a fulfilling life post-high school. Social events help MPS and other district graduates by involving them in community volunteer work and activities giving them a chance to continue to interact with their peers. A goal of TSP is to expand sessions to four days per week instead of twice. This group is completely funded by individuals and corporate donations.
- Oklahoma Baptist Homes for Children: The core of OBHC is to provide a safe and loving space for women and children who need a home, human services, and hope. The south Oklahoma City site provides services through Children’s Hope, providing single mothers who are 18 and older education on career and parental development, money management, relational needs, and more.
We will also have our intra-district challenge again! At the end of February, fundraising champions are named and receive a trophy and bragging rights. There will be four winners: one high school, one junior high, one elementary, and one feeder-school chain. Will it be the #lionpride, the #jaguarpride, or the #sabercatpride?
Moore Love Apparel Orders Open Until Sept. 30!
Ready to see this year’s Moore Love apparel and get your gear? Make sure to visit: Moore Love Apparel Online. Proceeds from apparel sales will go directly to our overall fundraising number.
Many thanks in advance for all that you’ll do this year to support our local agencies through Moore Love. We couldn’t make the impact that we have without each of you and your support. In Moore Public Schools (MPS), we have approximately 24,500 students and 2,700 staff members in our 35 school sites. We are all excited about raising funds and giving back to these deserving organizations.